Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Dustin

Yesterday was my cousin's funeral.  He is my age.  I guess when you have a large family funerals are a sad part of life.  Thanks to technology I was able to watch it online.  My heart hurt to not be there with the rest of my family but I felt like the funeral was very well done.  I haven't talked to Dustin in years.  I guess that's just what happens when you grow up, start your own family, and move hundreds of miles away.  And with time you forget all of the good memories that you grew up with.  Listening to the stories of Dustin helped soothe my soul.  He was my partner in crime growing up.  I loved visiting my grandparents in Park Valley.  There was so much exploring to do out on the ranch, and who better to do that with than the cousin next door.  We were born in the same year. But he liked to remind me that he was born first in January so he was older than me.  He liked to joke around and tease and I remember getting poked in the ribs more than once.  A favorite pass time was playing board games.  I remember many heated arguments after Rummikub and other games.  It didn't help that we were both fiercely competitive.  One of the comments was that Dustin didn't like it when situations got too serious.  He liked to lighten the mood.  This comment brought a vivid memory of Uncle Jack's funeral many years ago.  I remember sitting by Dustin and getting the poke in the ribs to lighten the mood a little.  I'm very grateful that the stigma around suicide isn't as damning as it used to be.  It seems like those that want to lift others spirits can struggle the most.  I appreciated the thoughts on mercy and justice and that through the Savior we can be saved.  I will see Dustin again and I'm sure he will be waiting with a poke to the ribs and scheme to put a smile on my face.

Back in the old days when you had to finish the role of film before seeing your pictures, you didn't know how your pictures would turn out.  Dustin had taken my camera and taken this picture without me knowing.  I'm sure he was laughing to himself knowing what my reaction would be when I found it.  


Christmas tree hunting in Park Valley.  Getting your Christmas tree from Home Depot or Costco just doesn't have the same magic attached to it.  Me, Dustin, Luke and David

No comments: