Saturday, July 19, 2008

4 years old

July 17th 2004 - After I had assured Shaun he was ok to leave me and to go see the babies, I had time to wonder what good could come out of such a horrible day. The babies were here and I was only 24 weeks and 5 days along. The night before I had been told everything would be ok and I wondered what went wrong.

It took a couple of years to realize it, but everything did turn out ok. It was a very long hard road, but 4 years later I look at our kids and am so greatful they are with us. They are doing SO well! Last night we had cake and ice cream with friends and as I watched them play I couldn't help but feel overwhelmed with gratitude that they are doing so well. You can't even tell Brittan was a 24 week preemie, most of the time, and Corbin is progressing more and more each day. I remember one day in the NICU before one of Corbin's many surgeries we were talking to the neurosurgeon as he discussed his upcoming surgery and showing us Corbin's CT scan and showing us the damage that had been done. Seeing how unsure we were and just trying to absorb everything one day at a time he looked at me and said, "I am not a betting man, but I would bet on your son." I don't know if that surgeon really knew how much that comment would mean to me, but everytime Corbin passes a big milestone like walking I remember him giving me hope.

The kids had a wonderful birthday this year. There was a lot of water, friends, and cake and ice cream. We went to the beach on their birthday with some of their preschool friends. It had to rain of course, but they still had a blast. Friday night we had cake and ice cream with friends from church and school. Everybody had a lot of fun!!


I was crazy and actually tried making a cake for both of them. I really wanted to make a princess cake for Brittan, so that would mean I would have to make a cake for Corbin also. I actually think Corbin's turned out better, though.

15 comments:

Halley said...

Two unbelievable cakes for two unbelievable kids! Wish we could have been there! Miss you!

The Reese's said...

i can't believe you made two cute cakes! i can't even bring myself to make one for my kids. i'm glad everything is going well with your twins. that was a scary thing to go through, but they look like they are doing well.

Corinne said...

Wow Darbie, those cakes are awesome!! I'm so glad they had a great birthday!! What fun memories!!

Josh and Shar said...

Darbie, How are ya? It is so fun to see who blogs! Your kids are darling! I am so impressed by your baking skills, I can barely make brownies. Hope all is going weel with your family. Shar(Rhodes) Busby

california smiths said...

Such cute cakes! Very talented. Happy Birthday to your twins. What a road you have been on, I am glad everyone seems to to be doing well now. Good luck with the coming years!

Ginger said...

Darling cakes! You are such a great mom to make 2 fun cakes! I am glad they had a fun birthday--and that they are doing so well. Wow, 4 years really has flown by? That's crazy!

Jackie said...

I just found your blog...yay! Oh my heck, I loved seeing your cakes...that brought back so many memories. I'm trying to keep my emotions in check...really just so many memories started flooding back. Your cakes looked GREAT! I'm so glad that your kids are doing so well with all of the challenges that they've been given. You must be an amazing mother!

The Oylers said...

Thanks for letting me know you joined the blogging world...sheesh. Anyway, it looks like you are doing well. I can't beliece it's been 4 years since those babaies of yours were born. It seems just like yesterday we came to your house in Garland to see them. I guess by then it was December though. Anyway, I can't beleive Shaun has already completed his second year. Any idea where you guys will go when you are done. Houston is nice.

Anyway, sorry it's been so long since I've gotten in touch with you. I hope things are going well. Take care and let me know what you are doing.

Meg said...

The pictures of the birthday party turned out way cute and like I said today you are SUPER MOM! I admire you so much for all that you have gone through for your kids. You have always done all that you could to give them the very possible best. I look up to you so much. I am so grateful that we get to be next to those 2 miracles!

Brittany said...

Happy Birthday Kidos! We are so glad your twins are doing so well. You are such good parents and always impress me with your patience and positive attitude. We miss you guys!

michelle said...

How the heck did you do those cakes? Seriously, I wouldn't even know how to start. They turned out awesome!! So glad you started a blog. Yipee!

Christensen Family said...

Very cute cakes. Happy birthday to the kids. They are darling.

Kara Welling said...

Happy Birthday Corbin & Brittan! You brought me back to our 4H cake making days!!! Those were great times. I can't believe the twins are that old. Thats great & its wonderful to hear they are doing so well. Keep the updates coming!!
-Kara

Erin said...

Their story is incredible and inspiring. I'm so glad that things have worked out for your family.

~ Katie said...

Wow Darbie you did terrific on those cakes. You two have come so far these last 3 years and your kids our doing wonderful. You have a lot to be thankful for (not that you don't know that).